Michael L. Zupan has a wide variety of legal and litigation consulting experience including community associations, construction, real estate, lease disputes, enforcement of property rights, employment/non-competition, business torts, copyright and trade secret infringement, telecommunications, financial services, pharmaceutical liability, professional malpractice, fiduciary responsibility and bankruptcy, as well as general contract review and litigation consultation.
- George Mason University, J.D., with Distinction, 1985, George Mason Law Review
- College of William & Mary, B.B.A., 1980, Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity, Intercollegiate Football
- Community Associations Institute
- Washington Metropolitan Chapter of the Community Associations Institute
- Virginia Bar Association
- Virginia State Bar
- Alexandria Bar Association
- Fairfax Bar Association
Publications & Presentations
- "Do You Document? - You Should" - Co-Author with Deborah A. Carter, CMCA, AMS, PCAM - Quorum, January 2018
- "Barring Notice - What Is It?" - Quorum, January 2017
- "Can't Make Quorum" - Quorum, August 2017
- "Drones - It may be Time to Consider a Flight Plan" - Quorum, June 2016
- "Seeking a Smooth Transition to Homeowner Control"- Quorum, March 2015
- "Not So Fast (The Virginia Attorney Puts the Brakes on Private Enforcement of the Rules of the Road)"- Quorum, February 2015
- 2014 WMCCAI seminar, presenting panelist, "The Perfect Storm: How State Laws, Class-Action Lawsuits and Federal Regulations May Undermine Association Finances"
- 2013 WMCCAI seminar, presenting panelist, "Mission Impossible? The Dynamics of Group Decision Making"
- 2012 WMCCAI seminar, presenting panelist, "Challenges of Being a Good Neighbor - Rights and Responsibilities"
- 2011 WMCCAI seminar, presenting panelist, "Rule Making and Achieving Compliance"
- "You Shouldn't Have Said That (Defamation in Association Settings)" - Quorum, November 2010
- Panelist, Construction Issues in Virginia Common Interest Community Associations - 31st Annual Construction and Public Contracts Law Seminar (2010)
- 2010 WMCCAI seminar panelist presenting "Federal Housing Administration and Financing Changes and Requirements, Their Impact on Condominium Associations and Practical Advice to Assist Condominium Associations"
- "2009 Legal Forecast," Quorum, January 2009, (with David S. Mercer, Lucia Anna Trigiani, Janie L. Rhoads, Philip C. Baxa, and Jeremy R. Moss)
- Co-authored and presented a seminar entitled "Misappropriation of Trade Secrets and Copyright Infringement" for Virginia Law Foundation
- Co-authored and presented a seminar entitled "Taking Effective Depositions" for Lorman Business Institute
- Co-authored and presented other Continuing Legal Education seminars on such topics as effective communication, construction litigation, and injunctions
- Alexandria Law Library, President (2006-2018) and Board Member (1998-2018)
- Washington Chapter of Community Associations Institute - Education Committee (2009-2013); Publication Committee (2014- Present)
- Alexandria Law Library, President (2006 - 2018) and Board Member (1998 - 2018)
- Awarded AV rating by Martindale-Hubbell
- Served as a law clerk to the Honorable Donald H. Kent, Donald M. Haddock and Alfred D. Swersky, judges of Circuit Court for the City of Alexandria
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court for District of Columbia
- All state courts in Virginia, Maryland, and District of Columbia
- Pennsylvania (inactive)